We’re bringing back the Cooking with Mom’s Choice kitchen where we share award-winning recipes for you and your family. Award-winning author Stephanie Sorkin is here with an egg-free, nut-free recipe taken from her Mom’s Choice Award winning book “Nutley, the Nut-free Squirrel”. Nutley is a whimsical book about a squirrel that discovers he is allergic to nuts. Her book is also a fundraiser, as she donate 100% of the proceeds earned from its sale.
Nutley’s Nut-free, Egg-free Banana Bread Recipe
Ingredients: 1/2 cup (1 stick) but (soft or slightly melted) 6 ounces Greek yogurt 1 ½ cups sugar 2 ½ cups flour 3 medium, ripe bananas 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon salt Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease the bottom only of a loaf pan.
- In a mixer, mix butter and sugar. Add Greek yogurt, mashed bananas and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt. Consistency will be sticky and thick.
- Pour into a loaf pan.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour, but start testing with a toothpick after 45 minutes.
- Let cool for 30 minutes then carefully run a knife around the edges of the loaf pan to loosen up the bread.
- Turn the pan over to remove bread and let cool.
This recipe can easily be made dairy-free and or gluten-free. For dairy free banana bread, replace the Greek yogurt with non-dairy sour cream and replace the butter with non-dairy (parve) margarine. To make gluten-free banana bread, simply replace the regular flour with gluten-free flour. Enjoy!
This post was originally posted on the now-defunct Mom’s Choice Matters blog.
Stephanie Sorkin is a Mom’s Choice Award winning author who lives in New York, with her husband and three children. She is a member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators. Stephanie is the author “Nutley, the Nut-free Squirrel”, in which she donates 100% of the proceeds to F.A.R.E. She is also the author of “Chocolate Shoes with Licorice Laces”, with a portion of the proceeds going to Soles4Souls. Stephanie’s next book, “Frenemy Jane, the Sometimes Friend” is scheduled to be released Spring 2015. For more information, please visit www.stephaniesorkin.com