Everything you need to know about:
May 30th – June 1st, 2013
Javits Convention Center
New York City
Look for us!
Click here to see the floor plan.
- Watch a short video about BookExpo America
- Webinar: Prepping for BookExpo America
- The Most Frequently Asked Questions About BEA
- Travel Buddy Board
- What is BookExpo America (BEA) and how does it get exposure for my book/product?
- What special events are planned?
- Should I attend?
- This is my first BEA. What expenses are involved?
- Will I need to schedule an appointment for my filmed interview at BEA?
- Will I need a badge for BEA?
- How do I make travel arrangements for BEA?
- How can I reduce travel expenses?
- Will the MCA take my book/product to BEA?
- Are there autographing or product demo opportunities at BEA?
- With everything to manage, I’m afraid I might miss a deadline. Can you help?
- Where is the MCA team staying?
Webinar: Prepping for BookExpo America
In this 1-hour Webinar, participants will learn about BookExpo America and come away armed with answers to the questions about whether or not BEA is a good fit for their marketing goals, how to prepare for BEA, and get tips to maximize your time there. Terry Doherty has traveled far and wide to attend BookExpo America – from Virginia to Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York – and pours her experiences as a publishing rep, nonprofit director, and book lover into this educational opportunity for MCA Alumni and honorees. Space is limited and available on a first-come basis. Check out this and other related educational offerings on the MCA Academy page.
Back to top
The Most Frequently Asked Questions About BookExpo America
What is BookExpo and how does it get exposure for my book/product?
Book Expo America (BEA) combines the largest selection of English language titles on the planet with special industry and author events and unparalleled educational content to create a dynamic environment for networking, sourcing and relationship building. The event brings together booksellers, retailers, librarians, educators, rights and international professionals, and industry professionals. Approximately 30,000 are expected to attend this year. Although the Expo is primarily marketed as a “book” event, many other products are also featured: DVDs, games, software, toys, etc. The convention generates enormous press coverage putting many publishers and their books on TV screens and in the pages of many leading newspapers and magazines: C-Span, 60 Minutes, Access Hollywood, Associated Press, Reuters, Bloomberg and others.
What special events are planned?
Glad you asked! Many exciting things are planned:
- We’ll be filming interviews with MCA Honorees
- Autographing sessions are available
- Product demo sessions are also available
- The MCA Showcase will be on display in Booth 2767-2768
- And more!
Should I attend?
Yes, absolutely if your marketing/promotional budget allows. If it’s not in your budget to attend, you might consider sending your book/product to be displayed in the Mom’s Choice Awards Showcase.
This is my first BEA. What expenses are involved?
Besides your travel arrangements and meals, you should plan for the following:
- Admission Badge ($95 – $375)
- Author Breakfasts ($27 -$48) – optional
- Product placement in the MCA Showcase ($225 – $299) – optional
- Filmed interview reservation ($85 – $100) – optional
- Autographing sessions ($150 – $199/hour) – optional
- Product demonstration sessions ($150 – $199/hour) – optional
Some educational events, galas, featured speaker events and high-profile author autographing sessions may require additional costs. Check the BookExpo website for complete details.
Will I need to schedule an appointment for my filmed interview at BEA?
Yes. MCA will conduct filmed interviews with Honorees in the MCA Booth #2767-2768 on Thursday, May 30th and Friday, May 31st. There is a modest reservation fee of $85 – $100 which covers two interview participants per timeslot, basic editing and electronic delivery of the video file. Post production editing services are also available for an additional charge. Schedule your filmed interview timeslot on the Alumni Webstore. Space is limited and available on a first-come basis. Interview questions are provided in advance. Click here to learn more and reserve your timeslot.
TIP! A filmed interview is a valuable marketing/promotional tool! Post your video on your website, YouTube™, Facebook™ and other social networking sites. Share your interview with members of the media, or use the interview to create a multi-media press kit.
Back to top
Will I need a badge for BEA?
Yes, you will need to a badge if you are attending BEA. A limited number of discounted badges are available until May 15th (or until supplies last) via the Alumni Webstore. Click here to order your badge.
How do I make travel arrangements for BEA?
Please visit the BEA Travel Center for information and assistance. Discounted travel services are available to attendees. The deadline for hotel reservations is May 7th, but don’t wait. Space is limited and sells out fast.
Back to top
How can I reduce travel expenses?
Here are a few tips:
- Save time and reduce travel expenses by selecting a hotel on the Convention Shuttle Route.
- Share a room with a fellow MCA Honoree. Post a notice on the MCA FaceBook page. Check the Buddy Board for potential roomies. Email us your information and we’ll post it on the Buddy Board. Please send your name, arrival date, departure date, buddy preference (male/female), smoking preference, and contact info.
- Sharing a room with a friend and need double beds? If there’s not a double room available from the BEA Travel Center, try booking through the hotel directly. Only a limited number of double rooms are included in the convention block.
Will the MCA take my book/product to BEA?
Yes. Registration is required, and you can register via the Alumni Webstore. The cost to participate is $225 – $299 per title/item, and the deadline to register is April 29th. If you participate, your book/product will be part of a prominent display in a high-traffic location. Your item will be displayed face out alongside other MCA award-winning products. Professionally designed signage will clearly identify the section as the Mom’s Choice Awards Showcase. This beautiful, easy-to-browse exhibit allows booksellers, agents, scouts and publishing professionals to touch, feel and see your product. Plus! Your product will be featured in in the show catalog. Click here to reserve your spot. Interested in sending multiple items to the show? Email us to request a multi-item discount!
Are there autographing or product demo opportunities at BEA?
The Autographing Program is one of the highlights of BEA. Several one-hour timeslots are available. On Thursday, May 30th; Friday, May 31st and Saturday, June 1st. Autographing sessions / product demo sessions will be held in the MCA Booth #2767-2768. Rates are $150 – $199 per person per hour. Click here to learn more and reserve your timeslot.
- Download complete instructions
- Download 12 Tips For A Great Autographing / Product Demo Experience
- Download Material Handling Agreement (fill out online, save to your PC and print)
- Download Method of Payment Form (fill out online, save to your PC and print)
- Download Warehouse Shipping Labels
- Download Show Site Shipping Labels
With everything to manage, I’m afraid I might miss a deadline. Can you help?
Absolutely! This handy deadline manager should prove useful:
ASAP — Schedule your autographing / product demo session, filmed interview timeslot and your volunteer shifts
4/19 – 5/17 — Advance to warehouse shipments accepted
4/29 — Last day to register for the MCA Showcase
5/7 — Last day to make travel arrangements through the BEA Travel Center
5/15 — Special discounts expire for Badges
5/29 — Ship to show site arrival date
Where will the MCA team be staying?
We’re in the process of making arrangements now. Please check back for updates. Check availability via the BEA Travel Center.
Welcome to the Buddy Board!–Connecting MCA Honorees for BookExpo America
Want to add your information? Please email us the following: your name, arrival date, departure date, buddy preference (male/female), smoking preference, and contact info.
The following Honorees are looking for a roommate. Please contact the Honoree directly.
Sorry. There are no listings at this time. Please check back again.